SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2012

From:
David Crick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Crick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:29:59 +0100
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Mark Whidby
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 09:25 -0400, Jones, Bill wrote:
>> What version?  I have both SL58 and SL62 -- Both yum updated/upgraded without issue :P
>
> Sorry - I meant to say that this was a 6.1 version machine which
> seems to be the crux of the problem for me at least.
>
> The updated gnome-screensaver got installed last night along
> with the xorg-x11-server-Xorg I had downgraded yesterday.
> However restarting X still failed - the logs suggested it was
> the ATI driver at fault, so I installed
> xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.14.2-7.el6.x86_64.rpm from a 6.2 repository
> and now it all works once more.

Interesting point about xorg-x11-drv-ati - I will try that
on my problematic machine (I think it has an ATI card).

Indeed, my other machine that upgraded OK did indeed
already have xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.14.2-7 installed (and
has an ATI card).

Re the gnome-screensaver issue, I may have clouded
the problem in my reporting of it.  To re-iterate:

Machine A *had* gnome-screensaver installed at it
upgraded fine.

Machine B *also had* gnome-screensaver, but wouldn't
upgrade xorg-x11-server until I *removed* it (gnome-
screensaver).

Thus, rather than being a "dependency", it was actually
a conflict - or rather an "anti-dependency," to possibly
coin a phrase.

However, from both my own experiences on my
two machines and others' on theirs, the presence or
absence of gnome-screensaver doesn't appear to
have a difference on the actual problem of failing to
load X.

It looks like Mark may have hit the nail on the head
by identifying the ati-driver.  I will try on my second
machine here and confirm whether it works for me
as well.

   David.