SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2012

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2012 17:08:37 -0500
Scientific Linux 6.3 Beta 2 i386/x86_64                July 23, 2012

These are notes of the "Alpha/Beta" releases for Scientific Linux 6.3 .

THIS IS NOT FOR PRODUCTION.

This is for testing.  Please report back any issues to

There should be no expectation that a "yum" upgrade to SL 6.3 will work.
A new install is the recommended method to move from
"sl6rolling"(this alpha release) and the released "SL 6.3".

Items marked with * are changes from the last release
DOWNLOAD INFO

DVD:

http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/i386/iso
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/x86_64/iso

Network Install Images:

http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/i386/images/boot.iso
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/x86_64/images/boot.iso

CHANGES WE MADE SINCE PREVIOUS RELEASE
ITEMS MARKED with a ** are changes since last ALPHA/BETA

*yum-conf-sl6x-1-2
-	Updated GPG key list, CERN's key is now listed here too

*redhat-logos-60.0.14-2.sl6.5
-	Now provides 'linux-logos'

*kmod-openafs-1.6.1-112.sl6.71
*openafs-1.6.1-112.sl6
*openafs-authlibs-1.6.1-112.sl6
*openafs-authlibs-devel-1.6.1-112.sl6
*openafs-client-1.6.1-112.sl6
*openafs-compat-1.6.1-112.sl6
*openafs-devel-1.6.1-112.sl6
*openafs-kernel-source-1.6.1-112.sl6
*openafs-kpasswd-1.6.1-112.sl6
*openafs-krb5-1.6.1-112.sl6
*openafs-plumbing-tools-1.6.1-112.sl6
*openafs-server-1.6.1-112.sl6
-	Updated to more current version, this is based on OpenAFS 1.6.1

*sl-indexhtml-6-2.sl6.6
-	Updated Swedish translation by Alexander Lindqvist

*sl-bookmarks-6-2.sl6
-	Now includes links to useful non-SL provided resources

*sl-release-6.3-0.rolling
-	Updated to point at 6rolling

*SL_enable_serialconsole-4.1-1.el6
*SL_enable_serialconsole-96-4.1-1.el6
*SL_enable_serialconsole-192-4.1-1.el6
*SL_enable_serialconsole-384-4.1-1.el6
*SL_enable_serialconsole-1152-4.1-1.el6
-	added '-r' option to script for removal of the configuration
-	now removes configuration when uninstalled
-	Switched to augeas based configuration
-	The old script can be found in the %doc folder
-	removed support for non-grub bootloaders as none are available for SL6
-	a number of SPEC file changes to make things cleaner
-	Now uses 'conflict' to ensure only one version installed at a time

**sl-release-notes-6.3-1
-	Updated for 6.3
-       Added technical release notes from TUV

**revisor-2.2-3.sl6_3
-	Added support for --final feature that was added in anaconda buildinstall

**sl-revisor-configs-1-6.3.3
-	Renamed kickstart files for simplicity
-	Added script for making a disc containing published errata
-	Updated yuminstall.py to latest release

RPMS ADDED IN THIS RELEASE
*rpmfusion-free-release-6-1.noarch.rpm
*yum-conf-rpmfusion-6-0.1.noarch.rpm
-	Simplified access to this repository was requested by the community
 	The 'non-free' repository is not included.  It is the responsibility
 	of the end user to verify their compliance with the licensing of the
 	rpms in the rpmfusion repository.

MAJOR CHANGES TUV MADE
*libreoffice
-	openoffice.org has been replaced with libreoffice.  The libreoffice
 	 packages 'provide' the right packages to maintain compatibility
 	 for kickstart and yum installs.

*anaconda
-	Anaconda now alerts users to the beta status of a release when it
 	 is tagged appropriately.  Upstream has added this functionality and
 	 we are taking advantage of it for the beta cycle.

POSSIBLE UPGRADE PROBLEMS

*libproxy-mozjs
-	Requires an old version of xulrunner, upstream bug 797779.
 	 We have removed it from SL6.3.  When an updated package is released
 	 we will build it.  If you need this package you can pull it from 6.2

*libvirt-qpid
-	Requires an old version of qpid-cpp-client, upstream bug 839006
 	 We have removed it from SL6.3.  When an updated package is released
 	 we will build it.  If you need this package you can pull it from 6.2

*sanlock
-	Upstream has removed the i686 sanlock packages, we have done the same.
 	 If upstream returns i686 support, we will add those packages.

*tboot
*pacemaker
*pacemaker-libs
*pacemaker-libs-devel
-	Upstream only features these packages on x86_64, previously they were
 	 in both arches on SL6.  In SL6.3 we match upstream and have removed
 	 the packages from the i686 tree. If upstream returns i686 support,
 	 we will add those packages.

ISSUES REPORTED with BETA 1 status

Fixed a issue where the i386 tree would not pxe boot.

-Connie Sieh