SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2012

Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2012 02:47:22 +0900
On 07/11/2012 08:03 PM, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012, David Crick wrote:
>
>> It looks like Mark may have hit the nail on the head
>> by identifying the ati-driver. I will try on my second
>> machine here and confirm whether it works for me
>> as well.
>
> 'Fraid not. My three machines all have intel graphics chips
> and SL62. Two with identical motherboards: one upgraded smoothly the other
> didn't. The third is a laptop and the upgrade broke it.

Just helped a guy out in the slforum IRC yesterday with this same
problem on SL 6.1 (nVidia graphics on his system -- the graphics drivers
aren't the issue). The resolution was a downgrade.

The specific problem in the xorg log was that the evdev input module
couldn't load because of a version mismatch. There may be other
mismatches, but that was the point xorg gave up.

Whenever the graphics drivers load first GDM will display but no input
is possible, if the graphics is scheduled after evdev then x won't give
you a graphical indication that anything is moving.