SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 21:29:10 +0100
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Ken Teh wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I need some help and advice with LTO tape drives.  I haven't kept up with
> tape technology for several years now and from a quick google, it appears
> that the only games in town are LTO and DDS.  We do have a single DDS
> deployment and we are looking at replacing it with LTO because of capacity
> limitations.
>
> Some questions:
>
> (1) It appears that LTO-5 is the current technology. But most single drives
> use SAS as an interface.  Again, I am not familiar with SAS.  All I know is
> what the acronym stands for.  Is it a simple matter of buying a SAS card?
> Will it run out of the box on a SL6.x box?  Any issues with drivers?
>
> (2) I see that LTO-4 is still available.  And a quick google suggests that
> Ultra160 or 320 LVD SCSI is the more common interface for these drives.  I
> have several of the Adaptec 29xxx cards, made available when we transitioned
> to SATA.  Is this viable or would you recommend against using LTO-4?  It
> appears to be about 5 years old.  I think it would be preferable to use
> technology that has at least some life to it but I am not inclined to work
> very hard to make LTO-5 work if it is not well supported on Linux.
>
> We are not looking to do anything fancy.  A single internal drive and a box
> of tapes.  Backups the old fashioned way.
>
> Specific recommendations welcomed.  As in, buy this card, buy this drive!

We are using a Dell-provided LTO-5 library which appears to be a re-badged
IBM model...  ie in /proc/scsi/scsi both the changer and the tape drive
show up as IBM models:

Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
   Vendor: IBM      Model: ULT3580-HH5      Rev: A422
   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 06
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01
   Vendor: IBM      Model: 3573-TL          Rev: 9.50
   Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 05

We talk to it using a Dell-provided SAS card which is a re-badged LSI e.g.
from lspci:

04:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008
  PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 02)

This is automatically detected and seems to work fine with sl5.7, I've not
tested it with anything much older. (It seems to use the mpt2sas driver
from what I can tell).

So far we havn't noticed any problems though we are just going through
setting up and testing bacula with it (to replace an older setup with an
LTO-3 library on an sl4 box) so it hasn't had significant use yet.

  -- Jon