SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:31:24 -0500
On 06/18/2012 11:31 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> An LTO-5 drive is backwards compatible with LTO-4,3 (and maybe 2,1)
> drives. It is one advantage of the LTO format that they do a lot of
> backwards compatibility. The drives should look about the same to the
> hardware. We have LTO-5 library from Quantum which bacula uses without
> any special software.

The LTO page on Wikipedia says that a current generation LTO drive will read tapes from "at least" 2 prior generations.  I have no experience with these tapes; only throwing this blurb into the discussion.

Am I right to assume that I can use the mt program for a LTO-5 SAS type drive?  That 'tar' will work just fine?  Or do we also need to migrate to more "modern" software like bacula?

Thanks for the responses so far.