SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:47:40 -0500
I am having trouble doing a 6.2 kickstart install on a machine with a
previously used /dev/sda.  It always fails on the first 'part' statement. I
finally did a manual install and discovered in the anaconda-ks.cfg that the
drive is not sda but has a really funny name

ddf1_<very long hexadecimal sequence>

What is this name?  How do I get rid of it and have it simply as sda?

The kickstart has a 'clearpart' statement that clears all partitions on all
drives (there are 2 drives on the sytem). When the kickstart failed, I
manually removed the partitions by booting the system with sysrescuecd and
used fdisk to remove the partitions.  I verified that the partition table is
empty both under SL6.2's DVD and sysrescuecd.

Then I tried the kickstart again and it failed at the first 'part' statement.
The problem is the drive name.  sysrescuecd thinks it's /dev/sda, but not the
SL6.2 install or everything DVD.

Can I not reuse drives?  Are they magically labelled somewhere?

Thanks!