SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2012 14:32:18 +0900
On 06/13/2012 06:44 AM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:

> (On this list, are we really required to say "TUV" instead of "***censored***",
> as if we were playing a 1984 double-speak live action game?)

Yes, because lawyers have made even casual conversation a legal
minefield for reasons other than getting disappeared by the Thought Police.

Pretty much anything trademarked, burdened by customer guarantees of any
sort, or otherwise encumbered in any way should be referred to obliquely
on this list. This sounds silly, I know, but the reason is that the labs
who support this project don't have the bandwidth or the desire to even
open a conversation about how to open a proper, legal, trade protections
unencumbered conversation, and to that end terms like "TUV" are used
around here.

Not that TUV is a bad player -- *far* from it -- but why even open the
door in case the wind starts blowing the other way?