SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2012 09:31:13 -0700
[snip]
>     If I am missing something, is there a discussion link (URL) of the
>     issues, preferably not in legalese?
>
> There are dozens of threads, and there's the acutal licensing in the
> RPM's and SRPM's. Take a good look in /usr/share/doc/[package-name] for
> the license agreements, or do "rpm -qi $name | grep -i license" to get
> a hint of what license a package has. Then go *read* them, individually,
> rather than attempting to apply a personal mental conception of the GPL
> on top of the whole distribution. And check out the history of the JDK
> licensing: Our favoritre upstream vendor has been instrumental in the
> creation and publication of openjdk, whose suource is openly licensed
> and does not require the manual or commercial registration with Sun to
> use binaries.

The above mentioned licenses, agreements, and restrictive covenants are
written in legalese.  Legalese requires explanation by a law
professional, and the actual meaning of the same language can change
depending upon the nation-state or larger entity under which the
language is interpreted, unlike science and engineering concepts and
even terminology -- the same legalese language has different meanings in
different legal systems (nation-states).  As I am not such a law
professional in any nation-state, let alone a practitioner of the
situations under which these licenses are interpreted across many
nation-states, the documents have little utility for me, an opinion held
by many colleagues I know in industry, let alone the academy, who
instead defer to legal professionals.  I have read the various GPL
versions, and have read a number of the differing interpretations
(including some of those of Stallman).  It was based upon these readings
that I was under the mistaken impression that a for-profit vendor using
GPL software sources had to release the sources (not true under some
other "open software" licenses).  As for keeping these on a public web
server (as mentioned earlier in this exchange), I expect that release
could mean to release the source on media at a sensible cost. (If the
claim for burning a DVD-ROM of GPL source and putting it into a surface
carrier were, say, $1M US, no rational person could claim this was
sensible cost.  A for-profit vendor could perhaps justify a charge of
$100 US plus shipping.)