SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2012 00:11:03 +0900
On 06/09/2012 10:36 PM, Larry Linder wrote:
> Konqueror has changed again over night.
> We have black text on black background - easy to read.
> Several days ago we had this problem after a reboot at noon that made most our
> systems unusable.   The Next morning at 5:15 we came in to fix problem and
> everything worked fine.   Friday evening everything worked fine, Saturday 6
> AM the black back ground is back.
> The only thing that had been changed is that YUM updated the Kernel, and Open
> office 3.1 that we quit using last year.
>
> The back ground and color on Konqueror is also not working.
> Looked at logs to see if anyone had logged in from outside - nothing was
> found.
>
> Any Ideas as to how this may happen.

What hardware are you on? Specifically, what graphics chipsets and
drivers do you have? If you have a variety of hardware on different
systems, do they all demonstrate the same behavior or are some doing
different things?

KDE 3.5 or so had a couple of redraw quirks with open-source drivers --
some turned up in Konqueror and others in menus and panels. Some of the
problems were unique to ATI open-source drivers/hardware combinations
and some were unique to certain builds of the nVidia drivers. I suspect
you might be running into one of the magic combinations that can cause
this, but I'm not sure (been a while since KDE3 where I work).

Anyway, with some more system information we might be able to research
the situation a bit better.