SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

From:
Mark Rousell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2012 07:27:46 +0100
On 09/06/2012 07:01, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Mark Rousell
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>     Just to update this, the Raspberry Pi is real and is now shipping. You
>     can now buy it and receive it in your hands.
>
>     It looks likely to spawn a new generation of ARM-based devices in the
>     same price range. I would have thought that such devices would be an
>     ideal target for SL.
>
> Not likely. SL is a rebuild of an upstream vendor's industry
> class server OS.  If our favorite upstream vendor goes there, then that
> could happen. But if you look at Fedora as the leading edge of what that
> vendor plans for the next generation, I see no major pursuit of ARM in
> the next major release. Do you?

Anything is possible. To put things in context, this thread began with
the message quoted below:

On 26/03/2012 10:38, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently became aware that the CentOS guys are working on this as of
> recently, so I thought I'd see if any SL users may also be interested
> in such a thing. A similar ARM distro already exists, though. Those
> interested in an ARM port may want to take a look at RedSleeve Linux,
> which is an ARM port of the same upstream distribution as SL and
> CentOS.
>
> You can look here for more info:
> http://www.redsleeve.org/about/
> http://www.redsleeve.org/
>
> In total 109 SRPMs had to be modified in order to get them to build
> and work on ARM. They are in SRPMS/changed directory on the RedSleeve
> mirror. (Note: About 5 of those 109 were changed in order to remove
> the upstream branding which isn't relevant to the SL effort as it is
> already taken care of. It is quite well known what those are.)

Istm that whether or not SL-on-ARM ever becomes a reality depends on
what people (current and wouldbe SL users) need and how the SL
developers and community respond to such need (or perceptions thereof).

Anyway, my contribution to the thread was merely to point out (in the
context of the subthread questioning what platforms a putative SL-on-ARM
could run on) that the Raspberry Pi is real and now available.

I'm not the one who suggested SL-on-ARM but it does seem to me like a
potentially beneficial future direction for SL (or something SL-like)
regardless of what upstream might or might not do. ARM is likely to be
increasingly popular in the medium future as a server hardware platform.

--
MarkR

PGP public key: http://www.signal100.com/markr/pgp
Key ID: C9C5C162