SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2012 02:14:10 +0900
On 06/05/2012 12:42 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> On 05/30/2012 04:55 PM, Stefan Lasiewski wrote:
>> And for continuity, I'll point out that there was a similar, lengthy
>> discussion on this topic in September 2011.
>>
>> Here is the thread started by Tanmoy Chatterjee:
>>
>> http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1109&L=SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS&T=0&I=-3&X=5E3D186375663BCF45&Y=slasiewski%40lbl.gov&P=26572
>>

> Is there any reliable summary of this information, rather like a matrix
> that describes characteristics of the relevant EL6 repos?
>
> Examples of matrix columns (assuming the rows lists the repos):
>
> paid professional or volunteer maintained?

You answered your own question right here.

What "paid professional" is paid to maintain such a list? And if it
matters to you that a repo is maintained by a paid staff, then you'd
probably also not trust a list maintained by voltunteers (Who would
validate the list to standard? And what employer sets the standard?). So
if you yourself decided to create such a list it would be in your spare
time as a volunteer effort, thereby invalidating its use by others who
want such a list and only trust work performed by paid staff for said
purpose. Etc.

This is a circular line of questioning which crops up from time to time;
the answer remains the same.