SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:56:31 -0400
On Monday, June 25, 2012 03:37:57 PM you wrote:
> The problem is two-fold.  The hackintosh uses a bootloaded named
> Chimera.

Most of the howtos I have seen miss a few pieces.  I'm using Chameleon v2.0-RC3 658 on one box, just to get version numbers straight.  I posted a howto of sorts on the CentOS list a few weeks ago with the subject of "Notes on booting CentOS 6 natively on GPT with an EFI bootloader such as Chameleon without BIOS GPT/EFI support."  The key items seem to be the GPT 'type' used by the Linux filesystem that contains /boot, and installing GRUB to the partition containing /boot (not to the MBR!).  You have to have 'gdisk' to make this work; there is a gdisk package for OS X you can use, but I used a LiveUSB key with persistence layer and installed the gdisk package onto it for the install.  If you install gdisk on OS X do the gdisk step from OS X, using the proper disk device for OS X, and change the GUID to 0700 from EF00 for the /boot partition ONLY (leave the EFI Boot at EF00).

I'll reproduce a portion of the content here.  Change 'CentOS' to 'SL' and it should work as well:
+++++++++++++++++++++
You will need a live USB key of CentOS 6 with a persistence layer (overlay) and the EPEL gdisk package installed to make this thing boot.

On a system with Chameleon already installed, boot the CentOS 6 install media.  Installing Chameleon without OSX is an adventure that I've not done, so a 'testing' OSX install (10.6) with the Chameleon bootloader installed was used; once Chameleon is in the EFI boot partition in theory you can blow away the HFS+ OSX filesystem, but I've not tried it.  This involves partitioning the disk as GPT, and there are numerous howtos out there for many motherboards and laptops; the key is to get Chameleon in the MBR and the EFI boot partition properly created, set up with a protective MBR, and populated.

Install to the free space on the system, using a /boot of about 500MB, swap space to taste, and other filesystems as you like.  When the install prompts for bootloader installation location, you DO NOT want to install to the MBR (Chameleon is there); rather, install it to the /boot partition (on my test system this was /dev/sda3).  Finish the installation.  It won't yet be bootable.

Now, boot your liveUSB stick.  When you get your desktop, pull up a terminal and become root.  At the root prompt, invoke gdisk just like you would fdisk, making sure to get the right disk device and partition.  The command set for gdisk is virtually identical to fdisk.  Use 'p' to list the partitions; you'll see your /boot as a partition type of 'EF00' as set by parted in the installer.  You want to change that partition type to '0700' instead.  The bootable partition must remain the small EFI boot partition of type EF00.  You can name the partitions with the 'c' command; I encourage this.  Use the 'w' to write out the GPT when done, and shut down.  Remove the CentOS 6 liveUSB and reboot.  Chameleon should automatically pick up the 'Linux' system in its bootsplash.  Now, it may be possible to get parted to make the /boot partition to be type 0700 instead of EF00; didn't try that, since I know gdisk will do it correctly.

As I was using a Dell Inspiron 640m, I used a Chameleon boot CD for a Dell Latitude D620 to good effect; you can find that on insanelymac.com.  That particular Chameleon install includes a Dell logo and such, and may be some different from your particular Chameleon install.
++++++++++++++++++++++

(I mentioned the specific Chameleon version above, but as Chimera is a branch of Chameleon (in the same svn tree, even) it should behave similarly.)  And strike out the words 'and partition' in the sentence ending '...making sure to get the right disk device and partition.' as you only need the device for gdisk.....  Also note that I did a custom layout on partitioning, and I did not use LVM.

My system with this setup, 'gdisk -l' and 'parted print' output:

[root@localhost ~]# gdisk -l /dev/sda
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.1

Partition table scan:
  MBR: protective
  BSD: not present
  APM: not present
  GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.
Disk /dev/sda: 976773168 sectors, 465.8 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 976773134
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 525717 sectors (256.7 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              40          409639   200.0 MiB   EF00  EFI System Partition
   2          409640       386210423   184.0 GiB   AF00  OSX-test
   3       386473984       402104319   7.5 GiB     8200  LinuxSwap
   4       402104320       484024319   39.1 GiB    0700  C6
   5       484024320       861511679   180.0 GiB   0700  LinuxHome
   6       861511680       976510983   54.8 GiB    AF00  Interchange
[root@localhost ~]# parted /dev/sda print
Model: ATA ST9500420AS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End    Size    File system     Name                  Flags
 1      20.5kB  210MB  210MB   fat32           EFI System Partition  boot, hidden
 2      210MB   198GB  198GB   hfs+            OSX-test              hidden
 3      198GB   206GB  8003MB  linux-swap(v1)  LinuxSwap
 4      206GB   248GB  41.9GB  ext3            C6
 5      248GB   441GB  193GB   ext3            LinuxHome             hidden
 6      441GB   500GB  58.9GB  hfsx            Interchange           hidden

[root@localhost ~]#

This works for me on a Dell Inspiron 640m laptop; YMMV depending upon you specific hardware and the type of Chimera installation you have...... but hope this helps.  At least you know it can be done; it's just a matter of finding the right setup....