SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

From:
Conan Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Conan Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 13:37:57 -0600
Thanks for the reply...

I haven't kept notes... Most of this ocurred before I "discovered"
SL... I had CentOS running nicely on my machine then screwed it up
because I wanted something more "modern" and "media friendly"... Doh!  I
am mostly trying to get a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" on continuing the
effort... I have spent many hours on this and I am about to just say
forget it... I don't HAVE to have my Mac/Hackintosh at home.  I MUST
HAVE linux at home.  I work at home too much not too.  I tried
VirtualBox w/CentOS 6.2, but apparently VirtualBox doesn't support
nvidia native drivers, so that is out...

Anyway, I am only trying to get one of the linux distros to play nice
with MacOSX.  I would prefer CentOS, or until I learned of SL I would
have preferred CentOS, becuase it is the closes free distro to RHEL,
which is the distro I use at work.  Actually, I use Redhawk at work, but
I can't afford RHEL or Redhawk at home...

My machine has two identical hard drives, one for the mac osx and one
for linux...

The problem is two-fold.  The hackintosh uses a bootloaded named
Chimera.  When I install the linux according the the dual boot guide on
tonymacx86.com website, only kubuntu 12.04 would boot properly when I
rebooted. When I install CentOS, and try to reboot through chimera, the
grub (?) menu never shows... the screen just goes blank after I select
"Linux" in the chimera menu.  If I hit F12 and select the boot device
manually and force CentOS to boot, then I can get in that way, but it
seems borked... the drive linux is installed on /dev/sdb? has changed to
/dev/sdc? and so I can't seem to get the nvidia drivers to install....

Anyway, like I said, was really just looking for someone who might have
tried and failed to tell me it isn't worth my time, or perhaps someone
who did suceed, and had the little bit of information I am looking for.

CD