SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

From:
"Steven J. Yellin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven J. Yellin
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2012 14:42:35 -0700
     There may be good reason why RH doesn't support xfs, but if your
kernel already can handle xfs, would a rebuilt kernel help?  As a test,
still with a SL5 32-bit system, I installed xfsprogs, then took an
unneeded partition (/dev/sda11 with the obsolete SL3.0.9) and did

  mkfs.xfs -f -L test /dev/sda11

The result was an xfs partition that I could mount, write to, and read
from.  I don't know what would happen if you tried mounting and reading
your USB 3.0 disk.  But even if it can't be read with the standard kernel
I don't think harm would be done to the disk, especially if it's mounted
readonly ("-o ro").

Steven Yellin

>>> http://waspper.deviantart.com/