SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:01:14 -0400
On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM, David Sommerseth
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 06/22/2012 06:02 PM, t m wrote:
>>

>> As you thought I have no swap. Even at home I donīt use any with 8gigs
>> RAM.
>> I read it is faster.
>

> Nah, having 2-4GB of swap available isn't a bad thing.  But you probably
> don't need much more.  In the old days the rule of thumb was 2*amount of
> RAM, but when you cross 4GB swap it's probably not that efficient.

In the old days, the performance expense of using a fie for swap
instead of a partition mattered. These days, if you need swap, you can
usually allocate it trivially as a file and avoid the partition
management problems. This avoids the partitioning and re-partitioning
and re-allocation madness common to folks who think that cutting your
disk into tinier and tinier slices will somehow create space for the
applications they care about.

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. I've thrown most subtle
partitioning out the window and use separate partitionss only for
applications that really need it, such as high-performance mail spools
or proxy services for which the "noatime" setting provides a
significant benefit.