SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

From:
Adam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 00:15:25 +0000
I've done this before, but in a slightly interesting way. Unfortunately, I did not make detailed notes so I can't tell you the exact commands I used.

Approximate sequence:

0) Back up everything you value, and make an install DVD with a kickstart file that enables installation over SSH or VNC

1) Disable the old OS's swap partition
2) DD the install DVD to the former swap partition
3) Configure grub to chainload the installation image
4) Reboot the server, and cross your fingers
5) Connect via SSH, complete installation via SSH or VNC
6) Once the OS is installed, change the former swap partition to be swap again and add it to /etc/fstab

Hope this helps!

Adam Bishop
Janet, the UK’s education and research network

On 21 Jun 2012, at 23:18, t m wrote:

> Hey list :)
> I would like to know how I can install SL out of another linux, e.g. CentOS.
> I have CentOS running on a VPS but would like to migrate to SL.
>
> I looked for a tutorial on google and the forums but found no solution for the ssh connection that is needed after booting.
> This tutorial looks usable to me: http://computing.fnal.gov/unix-users/tips/install-without-media.html
>
> Hopefully you can point me to the right direction concerning ssh or have another solution :)
> Regards,
> Michael

Janet is a trading name of The JNT Association, a company limited
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG