SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2012 19:34:26 -0400
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM, t m <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hey list :)
> I would like to know how I can install SL out of another linux, e.g. CentOS.
> I have CentOS running on a VPS but would like to migrate to SL.

You mean switch a system, live, from CentOS to SL or to our upsteam
vendor's release?

It's tricky, but doable. The hard parts are the tools that include
"/etc/redhat-release", which must be force replaced, getting the yum
configuration set up  for the switches, and replacing *everything*.
Replacing yum, python, and glibc components are particularly fragile,
since doing s "downgrade" to go to the older operating systems's
releases can be..... adventuresome.

> I looked for a tutorial on google and the forums but found no solution for
> the ssh connection that is needed after booting.

Dude, no. You do it *LIVE* to switch a system.. Since the SSH daemon
forks off copies of itself, to allow a restart of the daemon with the
existing connection intact, it's feasible and I've done it.

But given the availablity of cheap, large USB sticks these days, why
wouldn't you have a local bootable installation medium?