SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

Date:
Wed, 16 May 2012 02:10:55 +0900
On 05/16/2012 02:04 AM, zxq9 wrote:
> On 05/16/2012 12:54 AM, Andrew Z wrote:
>> hello,
>> for whatever reason virtual box doesn't properly detect the 1440x900
>> resolution (probably i didn't install valid extensions). So i have to
>> manually select the correct resolution each time linux boots. Which lead
>> me to the following question - is there a way to change the stty
>> resolution without restarting the system?
>
> By default /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not exist and is generated each time
> X starts (for most people this is the same as once per boot). You can
> have Xorg output its generated configuration in a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> file with the command "Xorg -configure" (you might need to get more
> specific and do "Xorg:[display number] -configure"). You can then edit
> this file and change the display resolution to whatever you need and it
> should be loaded every time X starts from then on.
>
> But I might be completely misunderstanding where your problem lies and
> giving you wrong advice; I am not very familiar with virtual box.
> Anyway, its painless to try and see. If that doesn't work you might try
> editing/adding to the arguments in /boot/grub/grub.conf to pass explicit
> screen size info automatically there as well.

Duh... I forgot something important.

In any virtual environment there is almost always a machine/env instance
parameter that declares what the screen size is (along with every other
aspect of the environment, of course). I'm sure there is a (really
easy?) way to change the screen size value virtual box, but I don't know
what it is.

Deciding which way is more kludgy -- adjusting the virtual box
environment, generating an xorg.conf or passing boot parameters -- is
your own business, but I think adjusting the virtual box environment is
the most "correct" solution; it is also the method I don't know anything
about. (O.o)