SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

From:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett Viren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2012 17:07:52 -0400
Christopher Tooley <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> I've been requested to whitelist websites for a local user here,
> apparently the internet is extremely distracting for work, save for
> certain sites - has anyone done something like this before? I know I
> could put IPs and website addresses in /etc/hosts, but I don't want to
> have to fix the hosts file whenever IPs change.

It isn't clear if you are looking to provide your user with some
voluntary self-filtering or if your user wants to impose filtering on
others.  People gave you ideas about the latter.  For the former there
are various browser plugins that your user can install to self-manage
their own filtering.  For example Chrome's "Personal Blocklist"
extension.  Although the emphasis there looks to be default-allow rather
than default-deny.

Luck,
-Brett.