SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2012 15:46:59 -0500
I would recommend looking into squid or some other filtering proxy.  The
fundamental problem with using iptables/hosts restrictions is wildcard
matching for subdomains and various other technical details that you end
up sinking a vast amount of time to resolve.  There are also several
commercial solutions that can be implemented at the firewall/router
level on a per-machine or per-user basis.

-Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola
Digital Systems Engineer