SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

From:
Steve Rikli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Rikli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 15:10:01 -0700
On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 02:33:36PM -0700, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:

> I have observed some NFSv4 gyrations through SL6.0->6.1->6.2, but in 6.2,
> I see NFSv4 work exactly the same as NFSv3, at least in the NIS+autofs
> environement with either SL5 or SL6 NIS master. No firewall/iptables,
> no selinux.
>
> In other words, for NFSv4 on SL6, I use exactly the same incantations
> as for NFSv3 on SL5 - in /etc/exports, in /etc/auto.master, auto.home, etc.
>
> On the other hand, on an non-NIS cluster of SL6.1 machines, I had
> to explicitely set "Domain=xxx" in /etc/idmapd.conf on each machine
> and reboot, otherwise all NFS files show up with owner nobody.nobody.

By chance do your NFS server & NFS clients have different DNS domainnames
configured?

Or, maybe the NFS server simply defines a different NFSv4 domainname than
your clients' default DNS domainname?

E.g. I have to set the (NFSv4) Domain in /etc/idmapd.conf at $WORK, due
to the NFS server with my homedir being in a different DNS domain than
my desktop.

Whether the NFSv4 domain is defined separately, or the default value of
DNS domainname is used, both client & server must have the same setting.
IME when ownership comes up with nobody.nobody it's usually a mis-match
between client & server NFSv4 domain names.  Or rpc.idmapd is dead or
otherwise out in the weeds.  :-)

Cheers,
sr.