SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

From:
"Howard, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Howard, Chris
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 18:13:35 +0000
I have no idea if this applies to your current situation:

Back in the misty past of the unix world
it was possible to have a file that contained empty spaces.
When a person would then copy that file, the resulting
file would be smaller.

I believe there was a terminology for this kind of
hollow file.  But I don't remember what it was
and google is not helping so far.

Such files were usually binary files associated
with complex applications things  like databases
and such.

With the more modern file systems, maybe that
situation doesn't happen anymore.

Hey!  I think I found the terminology:  Sparce file.
Check out the entry on wikipedia.

But that may have nothing to do with your situation.