SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

From:
Chris O'Regan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris O'Regan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2012 11:52:38 -0400
While this is not an SL-specific problem, I thought I'd document it here
to save others from tearing out their hair.

We have a handful of system that run tomcat in a chroot. They
require /proc and so we mount it inside the chroot using autofs. The
entry in the map looked like this before the upgrade to SL5.8:

        /path/to/chroot/proc proc-tomcat60

Since there's no real source file system we use 'proc-tomcat60' here to
provide some meaningful information in the output of commands such as
df.

Well, this broke after the update. I'm not sure why, but we now have to
prepend 'proc-tomcat60' with a colon like this:

        /path/to/chroot/proc :proc-tomcat60

Seems we were bitten by a number of minor text changes this round of
patching! What a different one character can make. Oy! :-)

--
Chris O'Regan <[log in to unmask]>
Senior Unix Systems Administrator, Academic IT Services