SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 14:06:31 -0500
On Fri, 25 May 2012, Stefan Lasiewski wrote:

> --e89a8f6475033424bb04c0e5ae31
>
> I have a question regarding the various RPM repos for the SL6.
>
> Some of the repos have a major.minor version number:
>
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.0/
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.2/
>
> And then there are repos for the '6' and '6x' releases:
>
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6/
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6x/

The subdirectories of //ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6/ just
point to //ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6x/ .  This was just
to make it easy to find "6" .

> and a repo named '6rolling':
>
> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/
>
> My questions:
>
> - What are the differences between these different kinds of repos?
> - When should I be tracking the '6' repository vs the 6.2 repository vs.
> the '6rolling' repository?

6x is a symbolic link that points to the "current" release of 6. This is
so you always "find" the current release.  We also provide a "yum-conf"
which which "points" to 6x.  When a new "point" release is made all the
systems with their yum-confs "pointing" to 6x will be updated to this
newer version.  Note the "non yum-conf 6x" will keep the system at that
point release.

> - What is 6rolling? Is it similar to the Fedora Rawhide development tree?

Yes it is similar to "Rawhide" .  "Rawhide" was the inspiration in the
naming of this "test" tree.  So you have "Rolling Rolling Rawhide" from
the "song".  Also "rolling things" are moving/changing so this goes with
well with use of "rolling" for  "alpha/beta" releases .

> With CentOS 5 and SL5, there was never a repository named '5' or '5x', and
> I am just trying to become more familiar with the new way of doing things.
>
> Forgive me for asking what might be a simple question. But I cannot find
> any description of the 6rolling or 6x repos on www.scientificlinux.org, or
> https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/ .

We will update the faq.  This is a very good question for it.

> Thank you,
>
> -= Stefan

-Connie Sieh