SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2012 01:36:24 -0700
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM, zxq9 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 05/24/2012 09:55 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:

>> ... Or head for elrepo.org and install kmod-fglrx :
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-fglrx
>>
>> It survives kernel updates transparently, so there is no need to
>> rebuild/install each time you update the kernel. Also, 'yum update'
>> will update the version of the ATI driver when a new version of the
>> driver becomes available.
>>
>> Basically, it a 'install once and forget forever' type operation. :-)
>>
>> In Scientific Linux 6, setting up ELRepo is as easy as:
>>
>> yum install elrepo-release
>>
>> Akemi
>

> A note on this... in our experience there is a slight performance difference
> between the generically built ELRepo driver package and ones built directly
> against your kernel header on your hardware.
>
> In the case of an A-series processor this probably won't be noticable unless
> you are an extremely demanding gamer, but on lighter systems like the
> E-series APUs using them as 3D CAD stations or enabling the desktop eye
> candy is just a touch annoying without letting the GPU pull out all its
> tricks.

Interesting note about the performance difference. For people who are
wondering which kernel environment ELRepo's ATI driver is built
against, here's the info as of kmod-fglrx 12.3.1 :

EL6: 2.6.32-220.el6 (EL 6.2 GA kernel)
EL5: 2.6.18-238.el5 (EL 5.6 GA kernel)

I don't have the ATI hardware to test, but the 6.2 GA kernel *might*
be close enough to the current kernel 2.6.32-220.13.1.el6. But the EL5
one may be worth building against the current 5.8 kernel to see if
that improves the performance (for users running 5.8 of course).

Akemi