SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

Date:
Fri, 25 May 2012 10:40:43 +0900
On 05/24/2012 09:55 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:44 AM, zxq9<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>
>>         A digression about the driver on SL6:
>> The annoying thing is that every time you update your kernel you'll need to
>> rebuild the drivers against the new kernel headers. The awesome part is that
>> the driver building process is mostly automated for you, AMD has lately done
>> a very nice job of maintaining its driver set for Linux, games, CAD, and
>> anything else graphical you want to do really fly on an A8, and all this is
>> free (both types of "free" -- AMD opensourced its Linux drivers, so the
>> Catalyst package is no longer "evil", or at least not as evil as it once
>> was).
>>
>> I wrote a procedure for the E350 (with some background) that should work
>> fine on your A8 on the SL forums here:
>> http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?showtopic=415&view=findpost&p=7102
>>
>> Procedural notes for SL6 have also been added to the AMD driver wiki here:
>> http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Scientific_Linux#Scientific_Linux_6x
>>
>> The AMD release page is here:
>> http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx
>> (if not you can select your type from http://support.amd.com )
>>
>> Hope the explanation didn't confuse, and that the driver links are helpful.
>
> ... Or head for elrepo.org and install kmod-fglrx :
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-fglrx
>
> It survives kernel updates transparently, so there is no need to
> rebuild/install each time you update the kernel. Also, 'yum update'
> will update the version of the ATI driver when a new version of the
> driver becomes available.
>
> Basically, it a 'install once and forget forever' type operation. :-)
>
> In Scientific Linux 6, setting up ELRepo is as easy as:
>
> yum install elrepo-release
>
> Akemi

Ah... that reminds me also... ELRepo, atrpms, rpmforge and EPEL don't
always play nicely together. So pick and choose wisely. Repo integration
is *not* a simple thing depending on what packages you're using.

You can do some repo configuration wizardry if you're into that to
define what comes from where, but I've always found that more trouble
than its worth beyond a certain point.