SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

Date:
Fri, 18 May 2012 16:46:45 +0900
On 05/18/2012 01:17 PM, Andrew Z wrote:
> hello,
>   just wonder if anyone had a chance to mount (rw) the Google Drive and
> if you can please share the experiences.
>
> thank you
> Andrew

Two points:
1- We have not tested this on SL6 at all (not sure if there is a
reasonable client available yet?), but some of my associates testing
Chromium played around with this and decided it isn't a reasonable
solution for anything of significant size/number. At least not yet.
Anyway, this type of storage introduces unnecessary syncing issues (the
Google Drive being one more place to make sure has a complete copy...
:-/ Introducing more, not less, complexity, and the idea that Google
would be anyone's sole data store is a little far fetched to begin with)
on top of already network/cluster centric storage solutions hosted
in-house and accessible from outside via much better than simple
username/password authentication.

2- Not a single customer has taken seriously anything to do with "cloud
computing/storage" unless it is on *their* cloud running on their
hardware that they own (unless its already public web-service stuff, but
certainly not things like spreadsheets kept by company accountants).
This has partly to do with the fact that from time to time earthquakes
cut the cables from Japan (or within) and having to close up for a week
or two just because a cable got cut is ridiculous; but mostly to do with
the idea that nobody is really sure who owns what when it leaves your
network (legally this is still gray, especially cross-border), and
that's not OK for businesses or people interested in their own privacy.

As a user experience its interesting, but not compelling. In the same
way, Opera United is interesting but not compelling. Its just not ready
for the big time yet, and neither are public networks.

Also, have fun recovering your stuff if something goes wrong and your
only instances of your baby's photos were out there when
BadThing(unexpectedly_dropped_google_product)[$i] happened. No fun, and
no recourse.