SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2012 16:20:29 -0500
On 05/17/2012 01:45 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> zxq9 wrote on 05/17/2012 12:24 PM:
>> I'm almost positive that the graphics issue no longer applies. SL6
>> doesn't create an xorg.conf by default, but builts it every boot during
>> device detection (and still doesn't trust the BIOS/UEFI, fortunately).
>
> Agree. That was mocu more of a problem with older releases.
>
>> initramfs... I think that is a static thing now, unless I'm thinking of
>> something else.
>
> The initramfs came along with dracut and replaced the old initrd, except
> kdump creates an initrd in addition to initramfs, but let's not stray
> too far afield. It depends on the hardware and is not static.
>
> Phil

I typically use syslinux (isolnux, extlinux, pxelinux, etc) to create
bootable portable media.  I'm not sure you can accomplish this with just
grub.  You should only need a new initrd if there are unsupported
filesystems or critical hardware drivers needed to boot.

http://www.syslinux.org/

There is plenty of documentation there to get you going.

-Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola
Digital Systems Engineer