SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2012

Date:
Fri, 18 May 2012 01:24:31 +0900
On 05/18/2012 12:11 AM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> vivek chalotra wrote on 05/17/2012 12:45 AM:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have cleared all the contents of my usb hard disk. Now please let me
>> know the whole procedure to
>> install mbr and slc6.2 on it. So that i can boot it from any system.
>> I want to make it a linux box and not a live usb key because live usb
>> has some limitations. Eagerly waiting for your response.
>>

> You should be able to install to it just like any hard disk device;
> however, booting ANY system from it is a tall order. The initramfs and
> graphics will be configured for the hardware on which it is installed. A
> LiveCD image with persistence may be a better approach, but even that
> will not be guaranteed to work anywhere.

I'm almost positive that the graphics issue no longer applies. SL6
doesn't create an xorg.conf by default, but builts it every boot during
device detection (and still doesn't trust the BIOS/UEFI, fortunately).

initramfs... I think that is a static thing now, unless I'm thinking of
something else.

Anyway, neither was the case back in earlier versions (not sure about 5,
but I think 4 built a concrete xorg.conf to-rule-them-all)