SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:04:01 +0900
On Wednesday 11 April 2012 02:57:08 Novick, Jeffrey L CTR (US) wrote:
> First thank you for original work, that must have made you crazy and for
> your reply.
>
> I also found that this laptop supposedly needed a firmware upgrade, but
> that didn't work either.

I think your problem really resides with esc, and once that is fixed the next
hurdle will be getting OpenSC to recognize the card type -- which should be
automatic, but we all love words like "should", don't we? Anyway, firmware
upgrades are (usually) a good thing regardless.

> Meanwhile, I have disabled selinux completely and that had no effect. I
> will leave it this way until this is resolved.

I think this is an unnecessary step at the moment. Your reader isn't having
trouble getting recognized, I think. And if it is we'll worry with verifying
the problem and then writing a policy to attach to pcscd if it actually needs
it (my feeling is that the necessary policy must exist, but is probably
provided by another package in the TUV certificate system, not in the pcscd
package where it belongs).

> cd lib/notifytray; make libs
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mockbuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/esc-
1.1.0/esc/src/lib/notifytray'
> gcc -o Linux2.6_x86_glibc_PTH_64_OPT.OBJ/notifytray.o -c -O2 -fPIC -
DLINUX1_2 -Di386 -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -DLINUX2_1 -ansi -Wall -pipe -DLINUX - Dlinux
-D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE -DHAVE_STRERROR -DXP_UNIX -
I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -
I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -
I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 - I/usr/include/freetype2
-I/usr/include/libpng12   -UDEBUG -DNDEBUG - D_REENTRANT -DDLL_PREFIX=\"lib\"
-DDLL_SUFFIX=\"so\" -
> I../../../dist/Linux2.6_x86_glibc_PTH_64_OPT.OBJ/include  -
> I../../../dist/public/traynotify -I../../../dist/private/traynotify -
> I../../../dist/public/libnotify  -DHAVE_LIB_NOTIFY notifytray.c
> notifytray.c: In function 'notify_icon_send_tooltip_msg':
> notifytray.c:227: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target
type
> notifytray.c:242: error: too few arguments to function
'notify_notification_new'

On the surface that looks easy to fix, but I'll have to look and see whether or
not the error is as simple as this message, or if its a deeper issue and how
convoluted (or pretty) the code is. Also, I'll need to check and see if there
is already a patch for this as I'm sure its discussed somewhere.

> Removed coolkey from Firefox, installed OpenSC and still had no luck.
> I did it all again with reboots in between every step, and still no good.

Until we get esc rebuilt I don't think this is going to be very meaningful, as
even if opensc and Firefox become buddies there won't be a bridge to the
actual card until a new one is built.

> Under Firefox, Edit->Preferences->Encyption->Security Devices, status
> says "Not Present" with or without my cac inserted.

Supports the idea that the fault is somewhere in the esc-pcscd-scr331 driver
chain. The good thing here is that Firefox didn't reject opensc or coolkey --
this used to be a problem with some versions of 3.x.

I won't have time to mess with it for at least a few days (maybe a week?) but
bother me about it early next week and I'll give it another look. Hopefully
the build can be simplified.

And anyway I'm impressed that you went so far as setting up a build
environment and really getting under the problem before posting to the list.
If only more bug reports and help requests were submitted by such motivated
people! This alone is what interests me in giving you a hand.