SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:30:21 -0400
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 2:57 AM, Dr Andrew C Aitchison
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2012, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
>> I write backports for EPEL and Repoforge from Fedora, and use a Fedora
>> test
>> environment to make sure my older packages will be forward compatible. The
>> shift in init script management is going to be *fun*.
>

> Most of my linux users use Ubuntu rather than Fedora at home.
>
> Several years ago I looked at switching from RH/SL to debian
> and the hugh difference in init scripts was a large part
> of the reason I stopped looking very hard.
>
> If those sort of games are going to happen I'll be starting
> my choice between SL7 and something else without an SL bias.

Why would a change in init system or filesystem layout (especially the
latter) necessitate a change of distribution?!

How much are you editing init scripts (and why?) to care that much
about the RH-Debian initscript difference?!

If you are editing init scripts, you'll find upstart and systemd
simpler to deal with!