SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:42:29 +0900
On 04/10/2012 02:22 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>> Bring popcorn. Fedora 17 is getting rid of /bin and /sbin, replacing the
>> directories with symlinks to /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.
>
> And don't be surprised if F18 merges "/usr/bin" and "/usr/sbin".

This is either F18 or if something especially hard to adapt emerges then
F19, but I think there is no stopping this. Reading the discussions
about it, though, I haven't seen any solid defense of keeping
/usr/{bin,sbin} separate other than "we've never merged them before".
The trend is to define and support a Linux Standard and depart from pure
POSIX wherever it seems OK. This doesn't necessitate abandonment of
strong unixy cli tools, but a lot of people are forgetting that the cli
is central between the computer-as-a-smartphone DE trend and the
rewrite-every-subsystem-ever trend.

Red Hat is a big fish in a small pond, but that the pond is indeed small
is worth remembering. Hopefully this divergence from everything that
came prior doesn't result in a further fracture of the Unix community on
the scale of the 80's that set back computing a few decades.