SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2012 12:53:46 +0900
On 04/10/2012 10:22 AM, Bluejay Adametz wrote:
>> Well, within limits. Otherwise you have user rebelions, etc. I guess they use Fedora as a thermometer.
>
> I wonder just how much the user base overlaps between Fedora and RHEL.
>
> Around my little part of the world, the overlap is zero. The
> operations I support would never be candidates for a short-lifetime
> bleeding-edge distribution like Fedora. They are, however, very good
> candidates for SL or RHEL.

Where I work they overlap considerably, but we are doing development in
Fedora and further upstream and deployment from SL and Vine (and support
for TUV and CentOS, of course). So for those of us working everyone uses
Fedora (though I think we only have one person who uses the default
desktop -- everyone else is a KDE user now; go figure), but
non-enterprise type customers are running Vine instead of TUV/SL/CentOS,
which is pretty different in many respects.

I won't turn this into a rant -- but there are a few places in the
plumbing where people near me think architectural mistakes have been
made by becoming too distant from Unixy thinking where it counts, and
yet lagged behind on GUI functionality in key places.

For example, its difficult to script network setup based on rules
without taking account of pushback from the system in some areas for the
reasons discussed in this thread, but printer setup is still sketchy
(Letter <-> A4 issues are still the plague!) and not something you can
do without root access by default. So hamstring the *nixy parts that we
can count on, and don't get the ease of integration across devices that
other platforms have for something critical like printing.

Maybe the focus is in the wrong place, or just lacking in general. Too
many pots on the fire?

blah