SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2012 15:17:13 -0400
On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Tom H <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Ken Teh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>> TUV needs an option in kickstart to turn off NM for designated cards.
>>> Btw,
>>> NM_CONTROLLED="no" in ifcfg-eth0 is not sufficient. When you do this, I
>>> lose DNS as well since apparently, NetworkManager usurps dhcp-client's
>>> role
>>> in this. When I chkconfig NetworkManager off, everything works.
>>>
>>> So I now have that in my kickstart script for my desktops.
>>>
>>> Is Enterprise Linux mostly installed on laptops? I would have thought
>>> that
>>> desktops still make a large fraction of its deployment. In fact I would
>>> almost bet on it since Linux is still not trouble-free when it comes to
>>> installing on laptops. In which case, it seems like a really bad idea
>>> foist the NetworkManager on people.
>>
>> You can just do
>> /sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 NetworkManager off
>> (or /sbin/chkconfig --del NetworkManager)
>> /sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 network on
>> in the "%post".
>
> This is insufficient. If NetworkManager is uninstalled, and then
> re-installed by an RPM dependency or a thoughtless admin trying to get the
> OpenVPN interface working, it *will* be re-activated. You really want the
> NM_CONTROLLED=no entries in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*.

Are you sure?! It's never happend to me.

If an update to a package overrides an admin's decision to disable a
daemon, a bug should be reported against that package.

>> Eventually, once it can do bonding and bridging, NM'll be inescapable...
>
> And I'd like a pony.
>
> I see *nothing* in any of our favorite upstream vendor's release network
> configuration interface, nor eveb in the Fedora 17 pre-release, that shows
> any support for bridge configuration or pair bonding. (If it's not made it
> into Fedora, I don't expect to see it in the production releases from our
> favorite upstream vendor).
>
> This is particularly egregious because high availability services do best
> with pair bonding, and because the upstream vendor supported virtualization
> technology, KVM, requires bridging for most configurations. It's also
> *dangerous* And NetworkManger will *overwrite* such settings, unannounced
> and undetected, until your configuration blows up in your face.
>
> I'm going to dial back my harsh comments about it. But it is *not* an
> appropriate tool for any enterprise environment.

I don't know why it's taking so long but it'll happen; there are
bugzilla RFEs for these changes. RH wouldn't have included NM in
"@base". I'm not sure whether we should read anything into this but
the "network" init script has yet to be ported to a native systemd
unit in the upcoming Fedora 17, even though it's the third Fedora
release defaulting to systemd.