SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

From:
Andras Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andras Horvath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2012 19:15:54 +0200
On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 10:09:25 -0700
Konstantin Olchanski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 06:55:18PM +0200, Andras Horvath wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 09:48:44 -0700
> > Konstantin Olchanski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > > Since all the wiki pages about installing live usb creators, etc
> > > bore me ...
> >
> > I suggest you to take a look at this thread in SL forum:
> > http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?showtopic=1433&hl=
> >

> Those are instructions for a live-usb. I do not want a live-usb. I
> want a USB-bootable installer.
>
> (Normally we use PXE-bootable installers, but sometimes we have a
> location with no internet access, and we need a standalone
> installer/rescuer. And no, usually there is no DVD drive there, and a
> portable USB DVD drive will not work in one specific location I am
> thinking of due to out-of-spec temperature/humidity/dust conditions).

Yes, I know. Take a look at part 3) THE LIVECD-ISO-TO-DISK METHOD:

You can use this method for DVD installer too, like this for example:

livecd-iso-to-disk --format
--reset-mbr /path-to-iso/SL-62-x86_64-2012-02-06-Install-DVD.iso /dev/sdc

I install machines like that who don't have any DVD readers.

Actually, this is the only method that works for me for the installer.