SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

From:
Joel Maslak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joel Maslak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 23:52:12 -0600
On Apr 6, 2012, at 8:19 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Stable IP address assignments are important for any SSH or SSL based access. OpenSSH, in particular, doesn't have useful behavior if the IP addresses swap and you have old public host keys stored locally.

SSL doesn't care about IP, only DNS name.  SSH is a different beast entirely (and does care about IP, which means some things are uglier than they should be).

DHCP is not incompatable with stable IP assignments.  I always used static mappings in my DHCP servers (you need at least two, for redundancy) to make sure hosts (which use DHCP) had fixed IPs.  It really makes things easier to automate.