SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2012 14:26:29 +0900
On 04/07/2012 11:19 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> Stable IP address assignments are important for any SSH or SSL based
> access. OpenSSH, in particular, doesn't have useful behavior if the IP
> addresses swap and you have old public host keys stored locally.

Now that you mention it, every permanent machine on our networks makes
extensive use of SSH, rdesktop, and krb5/NFS -- and perhaps having for
very long always treated the entire network as one computing resource
(aside from guests) has shaped my thinking significantly because I never
deal with any independent workstations.

Pretty soon we're looking to move even more in this direction by pushing
out multi-seat systems, which has the (really nice) effect of massively
reducing the number of machines on the network and concentrating the
work further. Unforunately this also means we have to put even more
changes into the SL6 base than we already have, so the balance is won if
the repo maintenance burden is lower than the reduction in the
system/network maintenance burden, and that is yet to be seen.