SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2012 14:14:07 +0900
On 04/07/2012 08:51 AM, Chris Schanzle wrote:
> Just thought I'd toss out another perspective -- it works for us quite
> well, and surely there are better methods we could apply too, but that's
> for another day.
>
> Regards,
> chris

Chris,

Very interesting. I've never used DHCP for anything other than guest
subdomains for transient systems (which we have a lot of during
conferences and meetings almost daily -- so this is a must for us). To
handle the same problem you mention I designate names and host details
at install time by having a script ask for the next name and address in
the convention chain and generate the kickstart and touch DNS to
activate whatever names are up. I suppose its the pre-plan way around
the same problem without getting into dynamic network land.

I'm glad that it seems to work out well for you. I've got a lot more
confidence in the way that network autoconfiguration tools can work with
IPv6, and am looking into using those features there -- but I'm still
just a little sketchy on IP4 DHCP.

-z