SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2012 07:23:03 +0900
On 04/07/2012 03:28 AM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> I tend to think that these days one should go back to static IP addresses
> for server-type machines, after all, all DHCP, network manager&  co do is assign
> the same IP address to the same machine over and over and over again with the only
> variation when they fail to do the boring thing and you have a machine down, staying
> down until somebody physically walks to it to reboot it.

Do you mean there are serious networks that use DHCP by default for
systems other than transient network guests residing in their own little
subnet (like laptops)? And server IP assignment by DHCP... I can't
believe this is really done, or am I being naive about naivete?

That just sounds like a recipe for disaster for a lot of reasons.
Without some thought and preparation any network setup is doomed to get
wacky after a while, and maybe I'm just being too old school -- but
being explicit about setup I've never had a single network problem like
the ones described here, whether letting NM run the show or using the
older networking subsystem.

-z