SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2012 02:31:52 +0900
On 04/07/2012 01:51 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> On 04/06/2012 12:15 PM, Steven J. Yellin wrote:
>> I haven't yet installed SL6, but I have installed SL5 on a PC from the
>> PC's disk, after what could go on a DVD is instead on a partition
>> that's to be left alone by installation. That should also be an
>> alternative for SL6.
>>
>> Steven Yellin
>>
>> On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone explain what the problem is here? I really don't
>>> care about creating a live Linux on a flash drive, just want to
>>> install without burning a DVD but nothing I have tried so far
>>> has met with success. I am open to suggestions.
>>>
>>> Bob
>
> I see my problem, I downloaded disk2! Picked it because it
> was smaller, duh!
>
> However the information I received is helpful.
>
> Thanks to all,
>
> Bob

An alternative that I use frequently is a PXE boot installation. I still
haven't sat down and scriptified the setup part of getting the PXE
server configured (not a frequent enough task to bother with yet) -- but
there are plenty of good resources online about how to do this.

Using this method I can just take blank hardware, tell the mainboard to
boot from PXE and have an installation complete in very little time,
regardless whether it has exposed USB ports, a screen and keyboard, an
optical drive, etc. This is very useful for headless systems if you use
the vnc boot option. PXE + kickstart = as many systems as you can plug
in installed immediately.

Of course if this isn't a common problem for you to solve then it may
not be worth the effort.

-z