SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

From:
Devin Bougie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Devin Bougie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 16:12:23 +0000
Hi, All.  We're seeing a problem running opengl on a remote SL6 system when the local system uses the proprietary nvidia drivers.  This does not seem to be a problem with remote SL5 systems.

The problem seems to only be when sitting at a local system with the nvidia drivers (tested with local SL5, SL6, and OS X) and running opengl on a remote SL6 system that doesn't have the nvidia drivers.

I think the example below probably demonstrates this better than my description.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and please let me know if there is any more information we can provide.

Many thanks,
Devin

------
[dab66@lnx246 ~]% glxinfo |head -n 15
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
   GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
   GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
   GLX_EXT_swap_control, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_create_context,
   GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile,
   GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness, GLX_ARB_multisample,
   GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:

[dab66@lnx246 ~]% ssh sl5-no-nvidia
[dab66@sl5-no-nvidia ~]% glxinfo |head -n 15
name of display: localhost:11.0
display: localhost:11  screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
   GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
   GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control,
   GLX_EXT_swap_control, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_create_context,
   GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile,
   GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness, GLX_ARB_multisample,
   GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:

[dab66@lnx246 ~]% ssh sl6-no-nvidia
[dab66@sl6-no-nvidia ~]% glxinfo
name of display: localhost:27.0
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

[dab66@lnx246 ~]% ssh sl6-nvidia
[dab66@sl6-nvidia ~]% glxinfo |head -n 15
NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).
name of display: localhost:10.0
display: localhost:10  screen: 0
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)