SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 08:40:53 +0900
On 04/06/2012 06:43 AM, Tom Rosmond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need smard card access (DOD CAC) from my SL 5.5 system.  I have a Dell
> USB smart card keyboard, but when I insert my card it isn't detected.  I
> assume this means I need to install smart card support, and I have seen
> documentation that is is available.  If so, what is the package name and
> repository where I can get it?
>
> T. Rosmond

A while back, when this still mattered to me, I wrote a guide on how to
get CACs working with the Dogtag system on Fedora 13:
http://zxq9.com/dodcac/F13-32/Fedora13.html

I haven't messed with it much since and my part of development on these
projects halted with my lack of access to a CAC, of course, but the
basics should work. Some of the items in the howto are of questionable
legality depending on where you are but are steps necessary to use a few
of the more poorly designed CAC enabled sites (the DTS, DTS helpdesk,
"network security" government online class trash, etc.), so be warned.

I don't think Dogtag is available as "dogtag-foo" or @dogtag on SL or
TUV. So you'll need to install pki-* and anything missing from CA, OCSP
and TKS (I think that's right... been a while). There is probably a
package collection for this in the repo that I just don't know the name
of -- its a lot like "389-DS/Fedora Directory Server" vs TUV-named
version of the same package.

I can dust this off and give you better guidance if this isn't enough.
Some of the quirks to CAC on Linux were lots of fun to discover... :-/

-z