SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 08:10:35 +0900
On 04/06/2012 04:46 AM, Ken Teh wrote:
> Is it true that the network manager service turns off the network when
> there is no activity?
>
> I just discovered that my desktops lost connection to the authentication
> server. So, screen locks, gdm logins, remote ssh just stopped working.
> Only when I logged in as root on the console did I notice that the
> network was disabled and when I clicked on the the panel icon, it
> reconnected.
>
> Is there some special config for the network manager to stop it from
> doing this? Is there a kickstart option for this as well?
>
> I have, for the moment, disabled the network manager service and edited
> the ifcfg-ethX files so they are no longer controlled by NM. I did this
> for my headless servers, but I was surprised (annoyed is more accurate)
> that this also affects "standard" client desktops.

Your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-foo must have ONBOOT="yes",
NM_CONTROLLED="yes" and DEFROUTE="yes" (I think this is only important
if you are multihomed) marked for your system to initiate a connection
without any user intervention. I believe this winds up being the case if
you check "Available to all users" True and "Connect automatically" True
on your primary (or only) connection.

I have many clients and servers running with various userland
configurations, and all use NetworkManager to manage their connections.
Kerberos, LDAP, Postgres and NFS have never had connectivity issues
(though LDAP is a pain in other ways sometimes).

If you're losing your connections something else is likely the cause;
most of the really bad NM problems were solved a few years ago (but the
stigma lives on).

Here's a sample ifcfg-eth0 for IPv4 only that works fine:

DEVICE="eth0"
BOOTPROTO="none"
HWADDR="01:23:45:67:89:0A"
NM_CONTROLLED="yes"