SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2012

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:06:00 -0500
On 04/24/2012 11:01 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 8:53 AM, zxq9<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:

>>> in a previous post from Connie Sieh;
>>>
>>> ++++++++
>>>   Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:20:13 -0500
>>>   To: [log in to unmask]
>>>   Subject: [rhelv6-list] Announcement: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Life Cycle
>>>       Extended to Ten Years
>>>
>>> Today Red Hat is pleased to announce that it has extended the life cycle
>>> of
>>> Red  Hat Enterprise Linux 5, 6 and future releases from seven to 10 years,
>>> effective immediately. This announcement is in response to the widespread
>>> adoption of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 since its introduction in 2007, and
>>> the increasing rate of adoption of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 since its
>>> launch in 2010.
>>> ++++++++
>>>
>>> hth.
>>

>> I take that to mean that SL is similarly extended, then. I suppose the
>> project page just hasn't been updated to reflect this.
>>
>> Thanks for finding that.
>
> My understanding is that it was a simple forward of the TUV
> announcement and that SL has not made an official statement about the
> plan.
>
> But I could be wrong. :(
>
> Akemi

I don't see why there is any confusion.  Quoting the SL website:
http://www.scientificlinux.org/about/future

--- BEGIN QUOTE ---
Scientific Linux plans to do security updates as long as the The
Upstream Vendor (TUV) continues releasing updates and patches. The
support end dates are based on our current understanding of TUV's
support schedule.
--- END QUOTE ---

It is pretty clear (to me at least) that they will follow TUV's decision.

The above quote is also present at
http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/roadmap

The "End Support" at http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions states
"Until at least <date>".