SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2012

From:
Gordan Bobic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordan Bobic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 19:57:55 +0100
On 03/26/2012 07:53 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 07:40:08PM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:

>>> But this is very theoretical as there are no common ARM hardware to run on. (links to newegg, please!)
>>
>> There doesn't need to be "common hardware". The rootfs/userspace is
>> armv5tel, so it will run on any ARMv5, ARMv6 or ARMv7 CPU.
>>

> I am not up to speed on the different ARM versions, but would it run on this:
> http://www.altera.com/devices/processor/arm/cortex-m1/m-arm-cortex-m1.html
> and this:
> http://www.altera.com/devices/processor/arm/cortex-a9/m-arm-cortex-a9.html

Cortex M1 is ARMv6 and Cortex A9 is ARMv7. The RS userspace targets
ARMv5, so yes, it should run on both of those.

>> You will need different kernels for different SoCs, but all devices come with
>> working kernels for them anyway, so there is nothing stopping you
>> from using the hardware vendor's kernel with the RS rootfs.
>
> That would be Altera, I guess, but I do not see any downloads for ARM Linux kernels
> on their web page. Maybe I should try again in a year...

Some SoC vendors tend not to be particularly open about such things
until you actually buy the dev kit, but it is a virtual certainty you
will get a supported kernel they have cooked up for the device with it -
otherwise nobody would buy them.

Some SoC vendors are very good at pushing things upstream, too, e.g.
Marvell.

Gordan