SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

March 2012

From:
Gordan Bobic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordan Bobic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2012 19:40:08 +0100
On 03/26/2012 04:10 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:38:31AM +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>>
>> ... similar ARM distro ...
>> http://www.redsleeve.org/
>>

> But this is very theoretical as there are no common ARM hardware to run on. (links to newegg, please!)

There doesn't need to be "common hardware". The rootfs/userspace is
armv5tel, so it will run on any ARMv5, ARMv6 or ARMv7 CPU. You will need
different kernels for different SoCs, but all devices come with working
kernels for them anyway, so there is nothing stopping you from using the
hardware vendor's kernel with the RS rootfs.

At the moment, I only have a Marvell Kirkwood kernel in the repository,
but I will be adding kernels for other popular hardware as and when the
more pressing things are out of the way.

Gordan