SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2012

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:49:18 -0500
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Alec T. Habig <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> So we've got a fairly large nest of machines running SL4.  Yes, we know
> they're EOL'd, but we're not upgrading OS's on machines actively taking
> data and on a non-routable subnet: we'll do it this summer during the
> accelerator shutdown instead.
>
> Yesterday ghostscript was updated by yum, and the new version's broken
> for our application (turning root created postscript into jpgs and pdfs
> for online monitoring jobs).
>
> Unfortunately, SL4's ancient version of yum doesn't know about
> "downgrade", and the SL4 update repo doesn't appear to keep previous
> versions of rpms around so we can manually back out.
>
> So, I was wondering if anyone had the pre-yesterday version of this rpm
> around?
>
>  ghostscript-7.07-33.13.el4
>
> was pushed to the repo yesterday, which breaks our application.
>
> I found a completely un-updated version from centos, and downgrading to
> it fixes our problem:
>
>  ghostscript-7.07-33.el4
>
> but I'm hoping for something newer which gets all the update goodness
> except yesterday's breakage.

This is where you get in trouble. "We want all the new stuff, except
the undefined stuff that doesn't work".

The ghostscript-7.07-33.11.el4 from 2009 is available under the the SL
4.8 distributations at your nearest Scientific Linux mirror. Hopefully
this will serve. The 4.7 distribution has an even older package. You
can also grab the SRPMS's and take a look at which patch broke things,
if you have the time.