SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2012

From:
Adam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 2012 10:20:19 +0000
That's just what I wanted to hear, thank you.

In the case of depending on something like libuuid, is there an 'ideal' solution, other than mandating a minimum version or maintaining two builds with different version numbers?

I assume the release notes are the correct place to check for breaking changes to packages?

Thanks,

Adam Bishop

On 6 Feb 2012, at 17:34, Pat Riehecky wrote:

> If we've done our job right (and you've got all your packages), the rpm _should_ be portable to TUV or any other rebuild of theirs.  That being said the real test is does the output from rpm -qp --requires <your_rpm> exist on the other distributions.  This can be particularly sticky going from 6.1 to 6.0.  If your rpm uses something that was a bugfix/enhancement released in the later version then you may have some minor issues which can be fixed by updating the older packages.
>
> For example, something built against the latest version of libuuid (from 6.2) will not necessarily like the libuuid from 6.0 (there have been some fixes)
>
> Pat
>
> --
> Pat Riehecky
> Scientific Linux Developer

Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG