SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2012

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2012 11:34:49 -0600
On 02/06/2012 11:22 AM, Adam Bishop wrote:
> Good Afternoon,
>
> I have a couple of questions about how portable code built on various EL's is between OS's/versions.
>
> If I build an RPM on SL6.1 from an arbitrary SRPM that has not been specifically targeted for EL6, has no distribution-specific, version-specific or renamed dependancies, how portable can I expect it to be?
>
> Would I just be able to drop it onto a CentOS6.2 or TUV6.0 system, for example, and have it just work.
>
> Assuming the answer is no:
>    * What steps/build settings/macros are needed to make it cross-version portable (SL 6.1, 6.0, 6.n)?
>    * What steps/build settings/macros are needed to make it cross-distribution compatible (SL, CentOS, TUV, etc.)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam Bishop
> JANET(UK) is a trading name of The JNT Association, a company limited
> by guarantee which is registered in England under No. 2881024
> and whose Registered Office is at Lumen House, Library Avenue,
> Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG

If we've done our job right (and you've got all your packages), the rpm
_should_ be portable to TUV or any other rebuild of theirs.  That being
said the real test is does the output from rpm -qp --requires <your_rpm>
exist on the other distributions.  This can be particularly sticky going
from 6.1 to 6.0.  If your rpm uses something that was a
bugfix/enhancement released in the later version then you may have some
minor issues which can be fixed by updating the older packages.

For example, something built against the latest version of libuuid (from
6.2) will not necessarily like the libuuid from 6.0 (there have been
some fixes)

Pat

--
Pat Riehecky