SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2012

From:
Steve Traylen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Traylen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 2012 17:31:44 +0000
> Good Afternoon,
>
> I have a couple of questions about how portable code built on various EL's is between OS's/versions.
>
> If I build an RPM on SL6.1 from an arbitrary SRPM that has not been specifically targeted for EL6, has no distribution-specific, version-specific or renamed dependancies, how portable can I expect it to be?
>
> Would I just be able to drop it onto a CentOS6.2 or TUV6.0 system, for example, and have it just work.
>
> Assuming the answer is no:
>  * What steps/build settings/macros are needed to make it cross-version portable (SL 6.1, 6.0, 6.n)?
>  * What steps/build settings/macros are needed to make it cross-distribution compatible (SL, CentOS, TUV, etc.)?

The answer should be yes though within any of the above 6.x.

There might be exceptions but in thatcase in principal they should be fixed.
In particular there should ne no so bumps with a 6 release.

More over if you build something on e.g Centos N.x itshould run with out rebuild on thenext major release, e.g SL N+1.x. This is what the compat packages are for.